The 5 quotes that changed my life….seriously!! This is no joke my friends. About 6 years ago, I was at what I would call my darkest hour to date. I was depressed and alone with nothing to live for, (or so I thought) and my love for literature was my only fortress. It’s often the simplest, most natural remedies that have the most powerful effects, just like the love potion strain that so many of my friends rely on when they’re feeling down. Herbal remedies as well as investing in our most basic human abilities can make us feel whole again.
I have always LOVED books, from when I was a little girl, so I guess it’s no wonder that I turned to reading when I had nothing else going for me. Ok, ok, I know this is starting to sound like a pity party for one, so let’s get to the good stuff, shall we?
I have collected these quotes from several of my favourite books, and I hope you find some inspiration in them as well.
1. “There is a voice inside of you
That whispers all day long,
“I feel this is right for me,
I know that this is wrong.”
No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
Or wise man can decide
What’s right for you–just listen to
The voice that speaks inside.”
? Shel Silverstein, Falling Up!
2. “Don’t Take Anything Personally. Nothings others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.”– Don Miguel Ruiz – The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
3. “Give up defining yourself — to yourself or to others. You won’t die. You will come to life. And don’t be concerned with how others define you. When they define you, they are limiting themselves, so it’s their problem. Whenever you interact with people, don’t be there primarily as a function or a role, but as the field of conscious Presence. You can only lose something that you have, but you cannot lose something that you are.” – Eckhart Tolle, A New Earth: Awakening to your life’s purpose
4. “Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second’s encounter with God and with eternity.” ~ Paulo Coelho, Alchemist
I’ve saved the best for last, this one is definitely my all time favourite quote to live by, drumroll please…….
5. “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” ~ Marrianne Williamson, A Return To Love
What’s your favourite life changing quote? Please share in the comments below. Xo